Thursday, May 22, 2008

Defining Food Moment

Apartment Therapy--The Kitchn had a post today about defining food moments in your life as a cook. Do you have one? I sometimes think about this--when did I become a cook? I think it was my senior year of college when I had my first apartment and my first cookbook and making food for friends became an important part of my social life. Making Thanksgiving dinner for 16 people that first year nearly sent me over the edge, but....it turned out....and it tasted good. What about you?

Emily

3 comments:

Julie said...

I think that I had a lot of defining food moments that made me love to cook, but probably the biggest one early on was when my grandma gave me her cheesecake recipie and entrusted me to make it for Christmas one year. When it came out well, I was so excited. Ever since then, cooking has been one of my favorite things to do--even when things don't turn out quite as well!

Stina said...

i think it was from the first moment i made cookies with my mom and grandma, very little. cheesy i know, but christmas tradition was a massive cookie baking and i got involved as soon as i could use playdough. then for mother's day one year, i guess i was about 11 or 12, i made a seven course tropical themed dinner for my mom. i dragged in palm trees and everything. i think there was a fish casserole that ended up pretty salty, but it definitely got me excited knowing that i could do it. and of course mom gushing about it helped too.

Matt said...

when i was a kid, my brother and i decided to make mom breakfast in bed for mother's day. we looked up recipes in a cookbook, but had NO CLUE what we were doing. we ended up with doughy-pretzely things which were supposed to be biscuits. truly terrible, but of course mom was very nice about it.